This Schlick Cycles APe frame and fork were hand-built in the US by Tom Teesdale from a selection of True Temper Tubes and custom bent 4130.
From Schlick Cycles:
The APe story began with the Schlick Cycles Tatanka fatbike and local Dirt Jump expert, and Ray’s Indoor Mountain Bike Park regular, Aristotle Peters. Aris took the Tatanka to Ray’s to wringing it out for a photo session. He had a total blast but wondered what a purpose-built, aggressive fat-bike would be like so we set about designing the Aristotle Peters edition, or APe for short! The resulting design makes this fat-bike one of the first purpose-built for aggressive riding
What makes this different than the Tatanka (or other fat-bikes for that matter)
• Larger diameter and thicker wall tubes. We still use True Temper for the main tubes but upped the size for added strength.
• Ultra-short, heavy-duty 16.9″ chainstays allow the APe rider to manual with ease, wheelie like there is no tomorrow and fly on the jump lines. It is also a great urban assault fat-bike tailor made for getting the most out of your terrain.
• Optimized geometry for narrower rims and 26 x 4 tires.
• 27.2mm seat tube diameter. Want to run a dropper post on your APe? No problem!
That all sounds great, right? What’s the catch? Well, what you won’t get is clearance for the Largest 26 x 5.0 tires. This aggressive fatbike designed to work with tires as large as a 26 x 3.8 Nate on a 65mm rim. That’s it! The APe really works well with the Northpaw 47mm rim coupled with Knards, Husker Dus, Vee Rubber Vee8s or Larrys but if you want to run BFLs, Buds or Lous the Tatanka is your huckleberry.
Featured in this build:
• Bottom Bracket - Surly Enduro 100mm
• Brakes - Avid BB7 MTN S
• Brake Levers - Avid FR5
• Brake Rotors - Jagwire Sport SR1 Disc Brake Rotor - 160mm
• Cassette - SRAM NX 11-50
• Chain - KMC X12
• Chainring - Wolf Tooth Surly Chainring - 30t
• Crankset - Surly Mr. Whirly
• Derailleur - SRAM NX 12-sp
• Fork - Schlick APe - Purple
• Frame - Schlick APe - Large - Purple
• Handlebar - Ritchey
• Grips PNW Loam
• Headset - Cane Creek 40-Series
• Quick Release - Northpaw
• Saddle - WTB Volt
• Seatpost - Thomson 27.2 410mm
• Seat Binder Bolt - Surly New Stainless - 30.0mm Black
• Shifter - SRAM NX
• Stem - Thomson 80mm X4
• Tires - CST Toboggan Tire - 26 x 4
• Tubes - Teravail
• Wheel (Front) - Northpaw 47mm/Northpaw 135mm
• Wheel (Rear) - Northpaw 47mm/Northpaw 170mm